Search This Blog

3.28.2012

A Poet Angel

I have spoken about Adrienne Rich and the poetry reading that Di and I attended and one of her most famous works in past blog posts.  She passed away Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 and has joined the brigade of angels in heaven and I am sure that she has brought her book of poems and is writing in a frenzy as I type here. 

The words that Adrienne wrote are compelling, timeless, a visonary of feminism and a woman that stood by her convictions through the turbulent times that she lived in. 

Another of her poems is "Song" that epotimizes the issue of being and feeling alone in this big world.
Lonely is how I feel when I think about Di and how much I miss her everyday.

Song

by Adrienne Rich


You're wondering if I'm lonely:
OK then, yes, I'm lonely
as a plane rides lonely and level
on its radio beam, aiming
across the Rockies
for the blue-strung aisles
of an airfield on the ocean.

You want to ask, am I lonely?
Well, of course, lonely
as a woman driving across country
day after day, leaving behind
mile after mile
little towns she might have stopped
and lived and died in, lonely


If I'm lonely
it must be the loneliness
of waking first, of breathing
dawns' first cold breath on the city
of being the one awake
in a house wrapped in sleep


If I'm lonely
it's with the rowboat ice-fast on the shore
in the last red light of the year
that knows what it is, that knows it's neither
ice nor mud nor winter light
but wood, with a gift for burning

NPR Morning Edition - Soundbites and Interview

Peace, Love, Treasures and Silences....
Cath

No comments:

Post a Comment



The people we meet form the foundation of our lives that when built upon allow us to bloom and blossom in ways that we never would have anticipated.